Let's talk 513...

Okay, so, there may be another topic like this somewhere in the forum, but I just felt that maybe we could put all this 513/513-1 talk into one topic.

So, has anybody wondered how SCP-513 and 513-1 would be implemented if they were put back in? Personally, I'd like to see it like this; You come across 513's chamber. You walk into the chamber when the bell drops out of its gelatin and onto the floor, causing it to ring, which activates 513-1. It'll begin to do its thing until you escape the facility and reach one of the Gate exits. Just when it seems like you're home free, 513-1 appears and the screen goes black. Then, radio chatter about a D-class found dead in the exterior area of the Site could be heard. One of the people talking would say that they looked at the video footage from the breach and figure out that the D-class had activated 513-1 and that it killed the guy before he could escape the facility.

Personally, I'd like to see 513-1 with a new model to replace that rotating JPEG/PNG image. Maybe Reg or someone else could do some edits to 096's old placeholder model a bit? And maybe someone could use that pic as a texture for him, just so he can keep his old look, even though 372's using its face at the moment.

And now, I'm gonna shut up so other people can chat.
Last edited by Z-Bites on Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Let's talk 513...

SCP-513 doesn't exactly kill its victims, it assaults them in there sleep and causes sleep deprivation and stress, enough to make its victims commit suicide, it doesn't physically kill them per say, it makes them kill themselves.

My idea was have the bell be in its containment cell with its gelatinous mold somehow broken, leaving the bell exposed, there would be earmuffs nearby the player could pick up and use to block 513's ring.

When examined with the earmuffs off, the soundfile "Bell" would play and the player would begin to see 513-1 like back in the games earlier days.

However i liked the idea someone posted elsewhere about modifying SCP-096's placeholder model to look like 513-1, maybe make it animate and flee like the article describes.

513 was much scarier then 372 in my opinion, while 372 gives me a few scares, i realize afterwards its only a bug (Or lizard.)
ERIC IS LOVE, ERIC IS LIFE.

SCP 513 wrote:I'm just putting linked thread here:

SCP-513
Aside from that topic being dead, it is about the model, not the SCP itself, so we can use THIS thread to talk about the SCP.

So, how should it be implemented? Easy, the exact same way it was before.
Yes, I know that the bell is rung randomly, but I really think it is a better alternative than you doing it.
Why is this? Simple. If it is rung randomly, you have no power, it will happen, whether you like it or not. This lack of power is one thing that makes this SCP scary, since it will appear randomly. If you had to ring it, then whats the point? After you realize what it does, you will stop doing so, because you don't want that thing to scare you, and even if you did, you will be able to decide from which point on it can appear. So, it should be randomly.

The problem I see, is that SCPs which rely on you activating them are not as scary. Horror is much more successful when the player has no control over what happens. If half of the SCPs were to rely on the player activating them (as an option that is) then half of the SCPs would be rarely used.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

^ SCPs that require activation are still pretty scary. But it is true that if most SCPs were like that, then most SCPs would be easily avoided and completely useless. That's why I don't like the way 008 was implemented into the game.

We need more SCPs that are true obstacles or random occuring events. Rather than just making them all big red shiny buttons that the player can choose to push at will.

106phobia wrote:^ SCPs that require activation are still pretty scary. But it is true that if most SCPs were like that, then most SCPs would be easily avoided and completely useless. That's why I don't like the way 008 was implemented into the game.

We need more SCPs that are true obstacles or random occuring events. Rather than just making them all big red shiny buttons that the player can choose to push at will.
Just had an idea back later. Maybe when player gets too closer the cowbell itself starts to ring. Upon containment breach, the cowbell‘s hanger was severely damaged by an accident or by an powerful roaming SCP, like: 682 or 076. For that note, when the player leaves the chamber, the cowbell starts fall off of it's hanging and rings. If that‘s too unfair, then take the cowbell in your inventory and decide it to keep it or ring it.

SCP 513 wrote: Just had an idea back later. Maybe when player gets too closer the cowbell itself starts to ring. Upon containment breach, the cowbell‘s hanger was severely damaged by an accident or by an powerful roaming SCP, like: 682 or 076. For that note, when the player leaves the chamber, the cowbell starts fall off of it's hanging and rings. If that‘s too unfair, then take the cowbell in your inventory and decide it to keep it or ring it.
Why would you ring it if you knew what it did?

We just said this, allowing the player to choose is BAD for horror. Why would the player choose to have extra scares?

Even if it is just entering the chamber, he could avoid that. So it is letting the player choose.
-Resident Bacon Fanatic-

spartan322 wrote:
SCP 513 wrote: Just had an idea back later. Maybe when player gets too closer the cowbell itself starts to ring. Upon containment breach, the cowbell‘s hanger was severely damaged by an accident or by an powerful roaming SCP, like: 682 or 076. For that note, when the player leaves the chamber, the cowbell starts fall off of it's hanging and rings. If that‘s too unfair, then take the cowbell in your inventory and decide it to keep it or ring it.
Why would you ring it if you knew what it did?

We just said this, allowing the player to choose is BAD for horror. Why would the player choose to have extra scares?

Even if it is just entering the chamber, he could avoid that. So it is letting the player choose.
Ugh... Don't have any ideas...

EDIT: I have this idea, though... 513-1 appears. If the player looks too long to 513-1, it slowly drains his sanity and has a small cutscene: Class D walks, encounters another 513-1 glimpse and commits suicide. Thoughts?
Last edited by SCP 513 on Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.