Re: SCP Containment Breach Unity Remake!

LORD DEATH wrote:That looks really nice. Just imagine what you could do with the concrete and floor textures. One thing's for sure, the new textures will really help with a better looking game in general.
Glad you like it! :D Hopefully I can get this done with a lot more of the textures soon! I'm still trying to figure out how i'd change the SCP-173 texture to be HD xD But i'll figure it out eventually! Thanks again for all your support! :)

You are a good graphics designer, but probably unexperienced programmer.

Using javascript in unity is bad. Using too much dynamic lighting and postprocessing is bad. Not caring about the random map is (in my opinion) bad. Unity is a great tool if you only know how to use it. You seem more like blender artist (you can do python scripts in blender and export exe :) ) than Unity programmer.

I don't think you understand what you started. I mean, you focus on every little detail like door texture, then in videos and pictures you show good looking eye candys instead of actual gameplay. Please don't misunderstand me, I really appreciate your work so far and I'm looking forward to see more, I just want to point out that you are going in the wrong direction if you want to actually finish the project.

Keep doing your best, I wish all good for your project :) Now some unnecesary stuff for the bravest:
Spoiler
:173:
I actually want to keep as close to the original as possible. Probably adding :REDACTED: though. Good luck :)

ShadowZ wrote:You are a good graphics designer, but probably unexperienced programmer.

Using javascript in unity is bad. Using too much dynamic lighting and postprocessing is bad. Not caring about the random map is (in my opinion) bad. Unity is a great tool if you only know how to use it. You seem more like blender artist (you can do python scripts in blender and export exe :) ) than Unity programmer.

I don't think you understand what you started. I mean, you focus on every little detail like door texture, then in videos and pictures you show good looking eye candys instead of actual gameplay. Please don't misunderstand me, I really appreciate your work so far and I'm looking forward to see more, I just want to point out that you are going in the wrong direction if you want to actually finish the project.

Keep doing your best, I wish all good for your project :) Now some unnecesary stuff for the bravest:
Spoiler
:173:
I actually want to keep as close to the original as possible. Probably adding :REDACTED: though. Good luck :)
I'm not actually too bad at programming, i've coded SCP-173 and stuff already, I just haven't showcased it yet! I'm really not good at all with Blender, i'm actually pretty good with Unity, I just haven't focused much on the coding side of it until now. I haven't been using that much post-processing, only what is needed to make the lighting look right, and not flat! The ranom generation I plan to add as a later option, once i've learnt a lot more, I never said I wouldn't, I was thinking of having a story-like mode (The one i'm working on) and a survival mode (Which is default SCP:CB), just because I said I didn't know how to do something, didn't mean I've given up on it :) I just have more planned for it than default SCP!

I don't just focus on small details, I was showing the door texture to Lord Death, who requested HD textures xD I have been working on gameplay too, I just haven't shown it off yet since it is not in good enough completion just yet to be worth making a video of, but trust me, I have been working on gameplay :)

Thanks for your tips!

Okay :)

Any idea for inventory system? That's where you are going to start having problems there. It's crucial to understand main concepts and it's best to write down the whole scheme...

Next problem: Map generation (if you want to make random maps). I gave up on rewriting blitz crapcode, its no use. You will have to plan your own algorithm there. Not to mention the section divisions (Heavy/Light containment zone, offices).

Do you have any experience with writing shaders? They are really usefull, to be honest I've learned a lot about those today while trying to recrate light halo that looks at least simmilar to the original SCP:CB :) You will probably use them a lot if you want to make the game look good.

I like the idea of story mode. With more scripted events, more things to see. Like outlast :) In my "port" Im trying to recreate the game first, then add my content.

ShadowZ wrote:Okay :)

Any idea for inventory system? That's where you are going to start having problems there. It's crucial to understand main concepts and it's best to write down the whole scheme...

Next problem: Map generation (if you want to make random maps). I gave up on rewriting blitz crapcode, its no use. You will have to plan your own algorithm there. Not to mention the section divisions (Heavy/Light containment zone, offices).

Do you have any experience with writing shaders? They are really usefull, to be honest I've learned a lot about those today while trying to recrate light halo that looks at least simmilar to the original SCP:CB :) You will probably use them a lot if you want to make the game look good.

I like the idea of story mode. With more scripted events, more things to see. Like outlast :) In my "port" Im trying to recreate the game first, then add my content.
So far you can pick up items and look and open the inventory and see them, but you can't interact with them just yet! xD I'll be working on that soon enough hopefully :)

Yeah that's exactly why I haven't worked on it yet, because I'd have no idea where to start with writing my own algorithm :) Which is why it's not on my top priority list xD
I have not worked with shaders just yet! I really need to look into them, I just haven't taken the time to just yet!

That's exactly what i'm going for! Think of Fallout 3, every character has a backstory that is hinted throughout the game (For example, notes between 2 co-workers, various backstories to the scientists, etc) some of the backstories I already have planned out, the game will have a lot too it, to make up for the linear mode at first :)

I'm recreating the main mechanics, just the story mode will be slightly more linear than survival, it'll be more about the backstories and scripted events, survival mode will be more.. frantic? I can't think of the word, but it will be more unexpected events :) Also I absolutely LOVE outlast so I guess that will be what it will end up similar to xD

Thanks again! :D

ShadowZ wrote:Keep doin your job man :)

Im almost 50% done with my inventory, I have complete RMesh loader (fast and stable). Juanjpro was so kind to provide me with modded rmeshes with items, doors and stuff :)

I am curious about your inventory system. Any implementation of ItemTemplate or just Items as prefabs instantiated when needed?
I shall!

Well at the moment i'm using an inventory from the Asset Store, and I really haven't looked into it much as at the moment i'm putting together the first level, so I really don't know much about it i'm afraid :c