Re: SCP-860-1 (The Forest)

Agent Ulgrin wrote:But what do we do about the player blinking automatically when entering the forest? That kinda spoils it and or just ruins the mood somehow.
There some things we can do to make the effect fully seamless, such as replacing the 2D sprite with a box with the forest's texture (players won't notice this). This removes the need to force the player to blink.

juanjpro wrote:
Agent Ulgrin wrote:But what do we do about the player blinking automatically when entering the forest? That kinda spoils it and or just ruins the mood somehow.
There some things we can do to make the effect fully seamless, such as replacing the 2D sprite with a box with the forest's texture (players won't notice this). This removes the need to force the player to blink.
I am aware of that others will probably see our little chit-chat that spoils it sadly.

But i am sure the rest won't as you said above.

Question now remains, what happens if the player tries to climb the height map/the little bumps? And about the trees appearing behind the player and aswell as the path separating etc.
"You could possibly add something I just shit out."

~ Agent Ulgrin 2014

Getting hit by vehicles ever since -69

Regalis wrote:
++Focus++ wrote:Man I cannot wait until this comes out, it will be stunning to see this creature in action. Does it have an animation of killing you or does it run into you and you die?
It has two killing animations, one where it's eating the player and one where it slashes with its claws. I'm using the latter, because the eating animation wouldn't really fit a creature with no mouth (at least not a mouth that opens).
Akatos wrote:I still can't believe this is going to be a reality! I'd really like to help out with this project, though it's almost done. Are there still any missing models/sounds/etc. ?
There's not much to do anymore with SCP-860, but some more ambient sounds for the forest would be useful. Now I have a couple of clips of the monster howling at the distance, sounds of wind blowing and a couple of creepy humming sounds. I think some sound clips of trees creaking would be a good addition, and maybe a few clips of birds singing. Not standard basic owl sounds or anything like that, but something eerie that kind of sounds like a bird, but you're not quite sure if it's a bird or something else.
I found this https://soundcloud.com/justin-buckley/c ... owstorm-on for a creaking tree, it needs a bit of editing but I think its a good place to start. Its under a creative commons licence so its okay to use.

legendaryweredragon wrote:I don't think that those ambiance track feel quite right for 860. They don't really sound very forest like. They sound too metallic and not natural enough.
Considering the forest is anything but natural, I think that a soundtrack that sounds off and not quite what'd expect from a forest would be a good idea.

I like both tracks, although I don't think there's a need for the Danger one; being hunted while a relatively calm song plays is creepy enough (not to mention that a change in the ambient sound would hint the player something is amiss; it's better to surprise them!)
Creator of SCP-345, SCP-700, SCP-860 and SCP-966.

Do you agree with Regalis' concept of sounds like having birds singing? In my personam opinion this is fine. But i feel the birds should sound really different from the ones at earth. Something low and uncomfortable sounding, unnatural.
sup

roger copy bravo tango mango

Enma Ai wrote:(not to mention that a change in the ambient sound would hint the player something is amiss; it's better to surprise them!)
I must say that you are right.

Thank you. :)
Omniary wrote:Oh! I just found an ambient clip I sent you not too far back Regalis. It was actually intended for the Office Zone, but it seems like it's pretty good for some distant sort of bird call. It's under the same name as I sent it to you. (https://soundcloud.com/redacted-2/ambient11)
That sounds really good. Truly an eerie call. Hope Regalis adds that in.
YouTube
Deviantart
Steam
SoundCloud
Twitter
SCP Containment Breach Sound Designer.
Favourite SCP is SCP-1845-1.