Moral Dilemmas and the power of Lateral Thinking

One of the things that always annoyed me most about the SCP Foundation entries were the numerous examples of the Foundation having at best very morally gray practices for seemingly no other reason than to show off how dark, edgy, morally ambiguous and generally Men-In-Black-Ish the Foundation is. I'd like to see Containment Breach play with this by having the opportunity for the player to re-contain SCP-106 without sacrificing the unfortunate Class D on the table by exercising a bit of creativity.

First off, there needs to be a way for the player to release the D-Class Bait in SCP-106s containment cell. Preferably, the player would have an intercom that he would turn on, presumably in an attempt to communicate with the D-Class, discover it to be broken, and switch to typing out a message to appear on a wall-mounted screen, perhaps with a note explaining that it's a relic of a failed attempt to communicate with SCP-106. The player would then release the Class D, recover a recording of a Class-D having his femur broken in a previous 106 Containment Breach, and then play this tape over the bait intercom by entering the containment cell and placing the tape player next to the microphone and running out as soon as SCP-106 appears, so that the freed Class-D can throw the switch and trap him inside.

This should be tricky and time-consuming: The room with the recordings (Alluded to in a note in SCP-106s containment chamber) should be a fair distance away and probably through an area with a scripted encounter with a highly aggressive hostile SCP or MTF Soldiers, and the player would have to be careful while playing it: Playing the recording too long will result in the recording of the Bait being taken by SCP-106 playing, alerting SCP-106 to the nature of the trap (Because even for a not particularly bright SCP like SCP-106, there are limits), and being out of position in the containment cell will either result in being caught by 106 or having it escape before the field can be engaged.

To nudge the player in this direction, if the Bait is released following the Player typing out his message on the in-room screen, the Bait should ask the Player if he "really thinks this a good idea" and that he's "not all that certain that the thing you told me about would be fooled by a recording". This should alert the Player to his characters own plan, and set him/her on the right path.

Mostly, this stems from one of my favorite parts of Spec Ops: The Line. At several points in the game there are what look like extremely uncomfortable binary choice Moral Dilemmas that can actually be resolved in creative ways by the player taking action outside of the presented choices, such as firing into the air to disperse an angry crowd. Players who stumble across this should feel a moment of elation in an otherwise dark and terrifying game, a crowning moment of "I AM THE THE GODDAMN MAN!" in the midst of a montage of neck-snapping, bullet-catching, and other unpleasant deaths, giving the sense of smug satisfaction that only comes from "Outsmarting the game" and finding the "hidden smart people option", and also help to characterize the Main Character as a resourceful out-of-the-box thinker, exactly the kind of person who could stand a small chance of surviving a full-blown Containment Breach alone and unarmed.

Re: Moral Dilemmas and the power of Lateral Thinking

I really like the idea of being able to make a moral choice, however I sincerely doubt 106 would be fooled long enough to even have a chance to contain him. The moment his head poked into the containment chamber he'd realize that there was no injured Class-D. While I'm not sure that SCP-106 is capable of actually becoming angry over such a trivial matter I'd still imagine him to attack the person closest to him.
This could be fatal to the player, however.. what if you managed to lure the MTF Units to the Chamber? You could play the tape over the facility-wide speakers, thus alerting nearby MTF to come to 106's chamber.
If you managed to alert both MTF and 106, it could potentially wipe out the military thread and keep 106 busy for quite some time.

Mind you, that was just a random thought based on your idea, and of course.. you'd be sacrificing yet another life (or even several) to take care of an SCP. But the Foundation is not just working in a grey area, some of the things they do are well beyond "evil" and downright disgusting. Most of the escaped SCPs can't be lured back to their chambers in a humane way, with the possible exception of SCP-096. Put a bag over its head and a rope around its neck and lead it to its chamber. Done.
I just find SCP-106 and possibly 035 difficult to put back in their "cage" in a.. non-evil.. manner. One has to remember the intelligence they possess. Eventually it would add up to sooo much stuff you'd have to implement that I fear that even seasoned SCP-CB players would simply get confused.
My Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSerimah

Re: Moral Dilemmas and the power of Lateral Thinking

Serimah wrote:I really like the idea of being able to make a moral choice, however I sincerely doubt 106 would be fooled long enough to even have a chance to contain him. The moment his head poked into the containment chamber he'd realize that there was no injured Class-D. While I'm not sure that SCP-106 is capable of actually becoming angry over such a trivial matter I'd still imagine him to attack the person closest to him.
This could be fatal to the player, however.. what if you managed to lure the MTF Units to the Chamber? You could play the tape over the facility-wide speakers, thus alerting nearby MTF to come to 106's chamber.
If you managed to alert both MTF and 106, it could potentially wipe out the military thread and keep 106 busy for quite some time.

Mind you, that was just a random thought based on your idea, and of course.. you'd be sacrificing yet another life (or even several) to take care of an SCP. But the Foundation is not just working in a grey area, some of the things they do are well beyond "evil" and downright disgusting. Most of the escaped SCPs can't be lured back to their chambers in a humane way, with the possible exception of SCP-096. Put a bag over its head and a rope around its neck and lead it to its chamber. Done.
I just find SCP-106 and possibly 035 difficult to put back in their "cage" in a.. non-evil.. manner. One has to remember the intelligence they possess. Eventually it would add up to sooo much stuff you'd have to implement that I fear that even seasoned SCP-CB players would simply get confused.
that's why I mentioned that the Player would have to be in the chamber. The sound lures him in, he goes after the Player, and if the Player positions himself JUST right, he can run out of the Containment Cell in time for the released Class D to throw the switch. It should be difficult, but not hugely complex, so it can feel truly rewarding if the Player succeeds. On top of that, Radical Larry isn't all that bright. He's consistently and repeatedly fooled by the Femur Breaker, or is so enamored with having a maimed victim that he chooses that over escaping in to the outside world, and he makes no use of his wall-walking ability, in the background story or in the game, to cut off the escape routes of fleeing victims. Instead he chooses to pursue them in a straight line and rely on the twists, turns, and obstacles in the path of his Prey to make up for his lack of agility.

I do like the idea of luring the MTF into contact with various SCPs, though. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to lure, say, 173 into an area blocked off by Nine Tailed Fox and then hide in a side room while you listen to the hail of gunfire while the Concrete Kewpie Doll clears the route for you.