Re: Irrlicht Port

mrpeanut188 wrote:what does the Irrlicht engine support in terms of... networking?
Irrlicht isn't like Blitz3D or Unity, which are designed for making games. Irrlicht is a graphics engine that has a lot of stuff that can be used for games, but sound and networking are not included.
MonocleBios wrote:I'd argue that juan could refactor 3dworld into multiple source/header files
Will do.
Edit: now things are separated a bit, I'll break up the world constructor into several small functions later

This will be fantastic when its done! And I have a feeling it will be EVEN BETTER because Juan is working on it! It will also be sweet how there will be a physics engine on it. For some reason I keep imagining :173: moving after a blink and when its finished him just stopping with so much force he launches straight into the player, shattering his bones and killing him...
I am the man who is bored.

I am the boredman.

juanjpro wrote:
mrpeanut188 wrote:what does the Irrlicht engine support in terms of... networking?
Irrlicht isn't like Blitz3D or Unity, which are designed for making games. Irrlicht is a graphics engine that has a lot of stuff that can be used for games, but sound and networking are not included.
Ah, ok, although I meant support in general, I didn't imagine that you'd have it out of the box with Irrlicht, but I mean like how well has the community done it? I know it should be out there somewhere.
I just don't know about the Irrlicht community, although I've heard mostly positive things.

How broad is the spectrum of PCs that the game can run on High Quality with the performance not being impacted? Could you still play it on a budget PC? (Something like a 780?) I've been using the 780 at the mathlab to play.
===============================
History is written by the victor~Winston Churchill
===============================

For a game like containment breach, even a seven year old laptop can run it at a decent framerate. Truly, in terms of graphics, the game is very simple and not much of a memory hog. It simply needs optimized. The engine it currently is on is its only limitation. Most of it is pre-calculated, like the lighting and shadows. What I'd be excited for is dynamic lighting, which could very much be used for gameplay mechanics and such. Also, a 780 is far more than enough for this game. My laptop has a 630m, and it's pretty good. Lol.
GIVE ME SOME CHEESECAKE DAMMIT.
(Also, for future reference, my name is MagicJackz)

LORD DEATH wrote:How broad is the spectrum of PCs that the game can run on High Quality with the performance not being impacted?
More computers should have better support for the game when this is done, though I might be dropping support for really old PCs. The Blitz3D version doesn't work well on old PCs anyway because of its high memory usage (this is something I hope I can solve).

If it works well in the current demos, it's likely that the final version will work nearly as well.

Now I'm importing all of the items from Items.bb, similarly to how I imported all the rooms from rooms.ini, the inventory will be reimplemented soon.